What is included in Ebook Launch's ebook formatting service?
All of Ebook Launch's ebook formatting services include the following:
- Ebook file(s) formatted and guaranteed for upload to the retailers/distributors indicated on your order form.
- A linked table of contents. (links to chapter headings)
- A labelled NCX for epub file types.
- Frontmatter (e.g. copyright and title page). The copyright page will have Copyright © yyyy AuthorName, All rights reserved. If you would like anything different, please include it in you submitted file,
- Preserved direct character styling (i.e. bold, italics, underline, strikethrough, superscript, subscript).
- Formatting in a single font (this varies between applications, devices, and user settings).
- Formatting in font sizes 11 to 16 points.
- Curly quotation marks
- Hyperlinks to sited websites, social media, and/or email (if applicable. Note that this does not include linking to locations within the book, excluding the table of contents and endnotes). All links, including internal links, will be underlined and a color determined by the eReader app or device. Please note that we only format what you provide. If the word is linked, we will format it that way. If you provide the URL we will format that so it links.
- Processing and optimization of images (if applicable). (This does not include cropping, adding borders, or improving the quality of an image.) Because of reflowable text, we cannot guarantee that captions will be on the same page/screen as the image. If MS Word is used to format images in any way, this will be lost when formatted as an ebook as we only use the raw images.
- Conversion of tables to images (if applicable). Ebook Launch uses the table provided (if applicable) by the client as table design is not included in formatting.
- Conversion of footnotes to linked endnotes if MS Words footnote/endnote function has been used where the footnote links to the endnote and the endnote links back to the footnote (if applicable). (please note that we do not format for 'pop-up' footnotes as we have found they only work on some ereaders)
- replacement of fonts not in most ereaders' font banks (Wingdings, etc)
- Click here for details about Ebook Cover Formatting
EPUB formatting includes:
- An epub file with the cover inserted.
- An epub file without the cover inserted.
Amazon EPUB (for Amazon KDP) formatting includes:
- An epub file optimized for upload to Amazon KDP. (Once you publish, Amazon provides all the formats required by the different devices)– a cover is not inserted, as you will upload it separately when you publish your ebook.
- This epub file is only guaranteed for Amazon and may not work on other platforms.
- You will need Kindle Previewer to view this epub file. You can download the free desktop Kindle Previewer for your computer here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000765261&ie=UTF8
- For more information see https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GULSQMHU5MNH4EZM
Word Doc (for Smashwords) formatting includes:
- A Word doc file formatted for upload to Smashwords – a cover is not inserted, as you will upload this separately when you publish your ebook.
- The Word doc formatting is guaranteed to meet Smashwords' Premium Catalog requirements.
- we do not format with color text because Smashwords does not recommend it in their Smashwords Style Guide. This is because text with color is difficult to read on some ereaders.
- the file we send is not an ebook. It is a Word doc formatted according to Smashwords' Style Guide so that their Meatgrinder can convert it into the ebook formats
- A PDF file a copy of the ebook files with the cover inserted and active links. There isn't any extra formatting.
IMPORTANT: Do not confuse this file with the PDF for print. It does not have headers, page numbers, vertically centered text. This file is not intended for mass distribution.
What is not included in Ebook Formatting:
- Embedded fonts: Because the reader can select the font they like in the ereader's preferences, we do not set the font(s) while ebook formatting.
- Ebook Cover Design: If you would like to have us design your ebook cover, please choose an option here.
For more information on the formatting process, follow the links below:
If you would like to have us format your ebook, please fill out our form here. We will review your book and email you a quote.