Paperback Print Cover Design Overview
What is a paperback print cover design?
Many authors love the feeling of holding their books physically in their hands. A paperback print cover is a designed file that you can upload to print-on-demand platforms like Amazon's KDP Print or IngramSpark. Paperback refers to the type of printing. A paperback does not have a hardcover or dustjacket.
Please note that we offer this service only for books that we have designed the front cover for.
What is included when I order a paperback print cover design?
One final file that is adapted from your ebook cover design that can be uploaded to your preferred print-on-demand (POD) platform. If you're distributing with more than one printing platform and require more than one paperback print file, we offer them for an additional charge. IngramSpark and KDP Print require two different print-ready files, for example.
The design includes the book's spine and back cover. Additionally, the back cover may include the book's blurb, ISBN, reviews, author's bio, and image etc.
The design will pull an existing element from the front cover design to include on the back cover for continuity. See the example below.
You'll also receive a mockup of your print cover (example pictured below) to review and approve the paperback print cover.
See an example of the conversion of an ebook cover to a paperback print cover below:
What are the specifications of the print-ready paperback file?
- File Type: PDF
- File Size: <50MB
- Dimensions: Trim size (e.g. 5x8) will be specified by author/publisher. The final page count will determine how thick the spine is. Please note that we can not accommodate text on the spine for any book with less than 100 pages.
- Colour Profile: CMYK
- Resolution: 300 DPI
What is the process for ordering and designing the paperback print file?
You can order your paperback print cover in one of three ways:
- You can order it as an add-on when you first order your ebook cover design.
- It may be included in your book cover design package.
- You can order it on our cover design extras form at a later date after we have already designed your book cover.
- The process for designing your paperback print cover begins after we have an approved ebook cover design to work with. There is no time limit between the completion of the ebook cover design and the start of the paperback print cover design.
- We will send you a form to fill out that provides us with all of the information necessary to complete your print cover. The purpose of this form is so that we have all of the information in one spot when we are preparing your print file. Please do not fill out this form until you have all of the information that we are requesting.
- We'll prepare a mock-up of your print cover for your review for any errors. We'll fix any changes you have at this point, free of charge. Once you approve, let us know.
- Once the file is approved, your print-ready files and any final instructions will be sent and the project is considered complete.
What is the turnaround time for designing a paperback print cover?
- If the paperback cover was ordered after the book cover design was completed, it will be sent within 7 business days of two things happening: payment of the invoice and completion of our print cover form.
- If the paperback cover was ordered at the same time as the book cover or is part of a cover design package, it will be sent within 7 business days of receiving the information that we request on our print cover form.
What is the revision process?
All revisions and/or changes while the project is active will be made free of charge. If you decide at a later date after approval of the project that you'd like to make further changes please email us to let us know. At that point, a quote will be sent to you based on the complexity of the request.